RED OR BLUE? Books or movies? The beach or the mountains? We tend to think in ways that make us believe that our choices come down to either/or, good/bad, right or wrong. It’s easier to make a choice when it comes down to a couple of things. So are you “the glass is half empty” type of person, or are you “the glass is half full” mindset?
WHAT’S TRUE? Until I saw this graphic (via Volunteer’s Weekly )that created an “Oh my gosh” moment for me, I was definitely in “the glass is half full” camp. To have that point of view, in my opinion, made everything in my life better, because to have the “half-empty” point of view just made things worse. I had noticed that when I suffered, when I felt poor, when I felt like there wasn’t enough, and when I felt frustrated and alone that mindset only added fuel to the fire.
I don’t operate 24/7 with an abundant (half-full) mindset. Although, I wonder what my life would be like if I could. When things spiral out of control, when someone disappoints me, when I mess up, I don’t feel all that great. In those moments, I do forget all the people, experiences and things that make my life beautiful and amazing. I definitely focus on “the glass is half empty” and that just sucks.
But what is so great about being a human being is that you and I hold the power in our our minds to change any circumstance that we dislike.
HALF EMPTY OR HALF FULL?
Before you answer, I want to share with you why this came up in the first place. I am currently in California helping out my mom who has a serious illness. It is important to me to be with her and to help her as much as I can before she passes away. However, that decision (made freely and which makes me feel good) comes with a few downsides. One of the majors is that my time is no longer my own. Doctor’s appointments, phone calls, driving, cooking, grocery shopping et al can consume entire days and leave me feeling exhausted, and well, poor – poor in time, poor in spirit, poor in relationships… poor, poor, poor me!
How in the heck did I set things up so I could suffer? What originally had made me feel awesome, started to suck the chi right out of me. Do you know what I mean? I wanted this, and now, well, it wasn’t what I had expected. Has that ever happened to you?
YOU MAKE THE RULES
It is hard to admit, but there is a lot more in my control than I would like to admit at times. So I had to look at my mindset and see what the heck was going on with me. That’s when I realized that I could turn this around and set up my rules to win.
Click here to GET ACCESS
HOW I GOT IT BACK
One of the great things that can happen when you commit to doing something like putting on a Facebook Live every week is that it forces you to come up with content – even when you don’t feel like it.
5 GREAT IDEAS TO MAKE YOU FEEL RICH
This was born out of my need to change something. I needed something to help me get back into a rich mindset. A mindset that looked at life from a half-full perspective, and I had to do it without spending a lot of money, nor taking a lot of time that I just didn’t have. Here they are:
- Rich in Body – Lock the bathroom door and take a bath. No distractions. After your bath, close your bedroom door and stretch slowly and easily. Finally, finish with a 5 minute breathing meditation to energize you. This protocol feels amazing.
- Rich in Relationships – Find something you like and appreciate about every person you come in contact with for the day. You will be amazed not only how connected you feel, but how much love comes back to you.
- Rich in Spirit – Make a list of every person, place, thing, and even your body that you benefit from AND that you had nothing to do with. When you hit item 50, you will realize just how abundant and blessed your life is.
- Rich in Home – De-clutter an area in your home. Decide whether you want to sell the items or give them away. Either way, the space you create makes you feel rich. If you can sell or give things away, you have more than many people out there.
- Rich in Time – Take just an hour (before the day starts or at day end) and commit to that time being yours. You make the rules, and you get to have it ALL your way. When you give yourself this type of freedom, you feel rich.
What I figured out was that the formula for feeling rich is really simple:
RICH = TO DO WHAT YOU WANT+ WITH WHOM YOU WANT + TO BE WHO YOU WANT+ TO HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT….AND
to do what you want gives you a certain feeling
with whom you want gives you a certain feeing
to be who you want gives you a certain feeling
to have whatever you want gives you a certain feeling … so
RICH = THE FEELINGS YOU WANT TO HAVE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR LIFE
Guess what? That is definitely in your control and you can set up the rules that make you feel what you want to feel more often.
HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY?
Is a choice. While this graphic says, “the glass is always full” what it doesn’t say that screams out to me is that the 1/2 air represents the most important part of the glass: OPPORTUNITY! Opportunity to make your life so much fuller and richer, and as you fill your life up with more love, light and joy, your cup will runneth other. Half- empty is not empty at all. Half-empty is possibility!
As always with these posts, my intention is to share the top tips and tools that make my life and my client’s lives better. My hope is that this post has done that for you.
Please feel free to leave a comment, and share your stories and your tips for making yourself feel richer with little or no money below.
Until next time,
Remember, you are so much more than who you believe yourself to be