Hey Friends! I learned this great question years ago when I was trying to get a handle on how to live my life in a way that made sense to me, again. In this ratio lies the true expression of our values.
How do we really spend our time? Do we set up the day, so that, we love how we feel about ourselves and the people we spend time with? Are we present-based but forward looking in our thinking and in our actions?
It’s a simple question, really. How much of your awake time is spent consuming books, movies, food, tv, video games et al? And how much of your time is spent creating products, books, art, more and better relationships, businesses, projects et al?
Once you know the times, you divide your create time by your consume time to get the percentage of the time (or the ratio) you spend in creation. This relationship is pretty straight forward.
Formula: Create time/Consumption Time = Major awareness of values and life satisfaction
For example, let’s say I create 4 hours a day and I consume 8 hours a day.
My ratio tells me that 4/8 or 1/2 or 50% of my waking hours is spent creating.
Next, I check in with myself and ask, “Am I happy with all the areas of my life or is there something missing or am I struggling in one or more areas?”
If the answer is something like, “I love my life and while I can shift a few things, it’s going great!” Then this ratio works for you.
If the answer is “I love my life, but I am struggling in this area,” then you need to take a look at your activities to see what needs to be changed.
As an awareness tool, this one, I believe, gets to the heart of our joys and our struggles.
Create something and your self respect and excitement for life grows. I want that for you! – Christine Jeffrey
When I started creating more than consuming, my focus shifted and my world expanded. The fulfillment I felt and still feel is hard to explain, but because of that simple shift, I was able to fully express myself, have the relationships I wanted to have and create a life that excited me and brings me self satisfaction to this day.
“Begin with the end in mind” – Steven Covey likes to say, because knowing your destination makes figuring out how to get there so much easier. In our lives, the ultimate destination is the feelings we want to experience in ourselves as we live our lives.
Aside from the beauty, the accolades, the prestige, the fun of it, what is your ultimate end game? What’s the feeling you are after?
The protocol below has you begin with that end in mind.
What I know for sure is that if you follow the steps, you get the results. The question is are you ready, willing and able to create? If so, then let’s go:
CREATE IT PROTOCOL
- Feelings – Ask, “How do I want to feel when I finish this project?” Once you know what that is, the next question is, “What steps do I take to make myself feel that way?”
- Brainstorm – If you don’t already know what you want to create, start writing down everything you like, everything that makes you smile, everything that you enjoy doing. Keep writing until certain ideas make you interested. Notice the interest and highlight those ideas.
- Identify The Best – From the list of interest, identify which ideas are feasible at this time in your life. How much free time do you have? How much will you it cost you to begin? How could you balance your life so this activity could fit in? Once you’ve written out what is possible, choose. PS you can always change your mind.
- Take Action – Plan out the project and take the steps.
- Refine and Celebrate – Respond to feedback. Take more steps. Respond to feedback. Keep going until completed. Celebrate each step along the way and bask in that feeling of pride and accomplishment and joy that you created for yourself.
That’s it! Most of you already know this protocol, but maybe you didn’t know the goal behind any act of creation. The goal is to experience the journey and joy of becoming the person who creates. Bringing ideas, products, beauty, and even little people into the world is the gift beyond all other gifts.
Give that gift to yourself Now! I want that experience for you!!
If you enjoyed this article and want more, subscribe to my email list and each week you will receive my latest blog post with free tips, tools, and strategies that get you more clarity, help you develop more courage, and inspire you to step out in your life in a bolder way. As a special thank you for joining my list, you’ll get my confidence class for free! Just you and me with some worksheets and reminders to get your confidence growing again! Go here
You got this. Leave a comment, ask a question, I am here to help.
Thank you so much for reading and until next time,
Remember, you are so much more than who you believe yourself to be!